"When I get new evidence I change my mind. What do you do?" John Maynard Keynes
- Creative Workflow – Cat Trying to Swallow Its Own Tail
- Esoteric Intra-Image Dialectic
- Two Teaching Cartoons
- By Nothingness to Nirvana, Beyond Contrivance
- Andy Thomas Closes His Eyes
- In the Whole of the River
- The Catch
- Amusement Park
- Missed-Understood and the Web of Hypotheses
- Inevitable Nexus When Fear Runs the Numbers
- The Smoothing Factor
- Sweetly Focused Nora Bateson
- Teaching Story – The Great Warrior
- Cat Toy?
Connect Megoogle+ Linkedin Facebook Twitter visual experimentation Learning Partner: Experience-based Learning Systems, Inc. Profile academia.edu sound design and music: nogutsnoglorystudios Imaginal Musicology Rhythm River Twitter (Kamelmauz) Recordings Kamelmauz.Bandcamp Dr. Abdullah Ibrahim Mantra Modes (on hiatus)
- “The judgment of the intellect is, at best, only the half of truth, and must, if it be honest, also come to an understanding of its inadequacy. The dynamic principle of fantasy is play, a characteristic also of the child, and as such it appears inconsistent with the principle of serious work. But without this playing with fantasy no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable. It is therefore short-sighted to treat fantasy, on account of its risky or unacceptable nature, as a thing of little worth.” The Psychology of Individuation, CG Jung
Tagsa-ha! adult learning analytic psychology anthropology art biology charlatanry cognitive psychology consciousness critical culture critical thinking culture current events economics education experiential learning Freeplay Softball fun as a value Gregory Bateson humor irrationality management music my casual art new paradigms organizational development phenomenology philosophy poetry politics pseudo-science psychology quotes religion resources science social psychology speculations sports sufism teaching cartoons teaching story transformative learning urbanology web media
- "It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious." - Alfred North Whitehead
- More email newsletters July 2, 2014
- new language annotation software June 25, 2014
- Software, Culture, and Political Economy in New Media Capitalism June 25, 2014
- ye olde net… June 25, 2014
- re the big data explosion June 10, 2014
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
- If, during the long course of ages and under varying conditions of life, organic beings vary at all in the several parts of their organization, and I think this cannot be disputed; if there be, owing to the high geometric powers of increase of each species, at some age, season or year, a severe struggle for life, and this certainly cannot be disputed; then, considering the infinite complexity of the relations of all organic beings to each other and to their conditions of existence, causing an infinite variety in structure, constitution, and habits, to be advantageous to them, I think it would be a most extraordinary fact if no variation ever had occurred useful to each being’s own welfare, in the same way as so many variations have occurred useful to man. But if variations useful to any organic being do occur, assuredly individuals thus characterized will have the best chance of being preserved in the struggle for life; and from the strong principle of inheritance they will tend to produce offspring similarly characterized. This principle of preservation, I have called, for the sake of brevity, Natural Selection. [Charles Darwin (1859) On the Origin of Species]
- “It is essential to such a government, that it be derived from the great body of the society, not from an inconsiderable proportion, or a favored class of it; otherwise a handful of tyrannical nobles, exercising their oppressions by a delegation of their powers, might aspire to the rank of republicans, and claim for their government the honorable title of republic.” James Madison
- All the property that is necessary to a Man, for the Conservation of the Individual and the Propagation of the Species, is his natural Right, which none can justly deprive him of: But all Property superfluous to such purposes is the Property of the Publick, who, by their Laws, have created it, and who may therefore by other laws dispose of it, whenever the Welfare of the Publick shall demand such Disposition. He that does not like civil Society on these Terms, let him retire and live among Savages. He can have no right to the benefits of Society, who will not pay his Club towards the Support of it. -Benjamin Franklin
Thinking Outside the Agora
- io9 'Shop Contest: Dreadnoughtus Edition: The Winners! September 14, 2014Last week we asked you all to use your image-manipulation skills to turn the newly discovered Dreadnoughtus (which, at 65 tons and 85 feet long, is already a pretty badass dinosaur) into an outrageously badass dinosaur. I think it's safe to say you all delivered.Read more...
- The Seven Wonders of the Solar System September 14, 2014People like to make lists of things, especially lists of superlatives: the best, fastest, oldest, largest, heaviest and so on. There are lists of the ten fastest animals and the ten longest rivers and even of the ten highest-paid rock stars. The Guinness company created a small industry from publishing lists exactly like these, and […]
- Our Ancestors Wore Babies Into Battle September 14, 2014According to MIT graduate student Tomer Ullman, humanity's early ancestors harnessed the "natural adrenaline boost" brought on by the sound of wailing babies by strapping infants to their bodies and wearing them into battle.Read more...
- That Time Stargate: Universe Hid Cryptographic Messages In Plain Sight September 14, 2014"Human" is a Stargate: Universe episode that revolves around mathematician Dr. Rush trying to crack a code. "I loved Rush's crazy scribbles of nonsense and the light code imagery," Meredith wrote in io9's original recap. Only it wasn't nonsense – it was real cryptography with consistent, breakable codes.Read more...
- A Real Aircraft Carrier Makes For An Amazing Cosplay Video September 14, 2014KantaiCon is a one-day anime convention in South Carolina which takes place on an actual aircraft carrier — the USS Yorktown. As demonstrated in Beat Down Boogie's video from last week's event, it's an excellent setting for cosplay. Read more...
- io9 'Shop Contest: Dreadnoughtus Edition: The Winners! September 14, 2014
- The “Make the Breast Pump Not Suck” Hackathon September 14, 2014
- Morning at PDX MMF September 14, 2014
- Go to the Milwaukee Maker Faire and Solve the Laser Maze September 14, 2014
- Barn Door tracker built with Lego Technic for Entry-Level Astrophotography September 14, 2014
- Cool Crowdfunding September 13. September 13, 2014